Overview and Target Audience
This course will help surgeons and gastroenterologist understand risks, benefits, expected outcomes, patient selection, placement procedure, removal, pre and postoperative management and prevention/treatment of complications. The two intragastric balloons that were approved by the FDA as a primary weight loss strategy recently will be included. This course will address the needs of surgeons and the entire multidisciplinary team.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Understand the intragastric balloon as an option for the treatment of mild to moderate obesity
- Utilize the indications and contraindications for the intragastric balloon therapy.
- Describe the balloon techniques for placement and removal.
- Recognize the complications associated with the intragastric balloon.
- Identify the available data associated with the intragastric balloon.
- Evaluate the initial experience in the United States with the intragastric balloon.
Dual saline-filled balloon fundamentals
Jaime Ponce, MD FASMBS
Single saline-filled balloon fundamentals
Mona Misra, MD
Swallowable gas-filled balloon fundamentals
Aurora Pryor, MD FASMBS
Intragastric balloon patient selection and management
Vafa Shayani, MD
Intragastric balloon complications
Eduardo Grecco, MD
Brazilian Intragastric Balloon Consensus after more than 40000 cases
Manoel Galvao, MD IFASMBS
How to market to draw self-pay to your practice
Rachel Moore, MD FACS FASMBS
Online aftercare platforms
Christopher DuCoin, MD MPH
Case report: gastric perforation
Helmuth Billy, MD
Case report: hyperinflation
Matthew Brengman, MD